Tuesday, November 9, 2010

How I Got an Agent


by Jude McGee


Last winter my beautiful artist friend, Marina, was headed to Manhattan to see her agent! She had an agent!

Her cute cookbook/memoir/photos of gay divorcees cavorting around the kitchen was designed to get you through divorce with homespun chat and yummy recipes.

I could have used it when my first marriage was ending. Never mind. She had an agent for it!

So, while I was biting back envious nigglings, we were discussing the fun things New York puts on for the holiday season — Mayor Bloomberg lighting the Christmas trees along Park Avenue, churches putting on caroling concerts, Handel’s Messiah and the fabulous windows along Fifth and Madison Avenues. It might even snow.

“Don’t you remember what it‘s like there in December?” I asked, aghast, when I saw the light-weight coat she planned to take. “Take my mother-in-law’s mink.” I said.

I know. I know. Many resist the charms of fur on humanitarian grounds — or should that be animalitarian grounds?

Anyway, it’s a beautiful old coat that I inherited. (And aren’t minks little animals that only truly fulfill their destinies as coats?) Mine has a large sable collar. (I have nothing against sables; maybe they're sweet. But what a collar!)

Out of animalitarianism, or other concerns, Marina demurred. I pressed.

Finally, I got her to actually try the coat on. When she put on its full-length magnificence – and when I pointed out that it was drying up in my closet and needed to be worn before its inevitable demise, she took it.

Luckily the coat distracted me and kept me from revealing my fundamental issue at that moment envy that she had an agent and I didn’t.

Sweetly, Marina said she would mention me to her agent. Yada, yada, yada.

A day later, she sent me her agent’s info, saying the agent would like me to contact her. Because of my poor attitude, I didn’t move on it right away.

A few days later, imagine my surprise when I got an email from the agent:

“Dear Jude,” the message said. “I just met your coat. Why don’t you tell me a little about yourself and your novel?”

It turned out that we were kindred spirits.

I sent her a copy of my PI thriller, Prey for the Church. She asked to rep my book – and I hope the rest will soon be history.



"Death is Golden," a short story by Jude McGee, can be found in the anthology Murder in LA-LA Land.

Photo courtesy of Amanda Kennedy.

4 comments:

Linda Leszczuk said...

There's a mink coat hanging out in the back of my closet. My husband won it on a TV game show. Maybe I should be mentioning this in my queries.

Barb Goffman said...

Nice! You never know how these things are going to happen. So much is luck and persistence.

Ricky Bush said...

Sounds like you really do have a sweet friend.

E. B. Davis said...

My mother left my sister and I her full length mink. We have it in storage, thinking someday we might just make two jackets or vests out of it. But if it would get me an agent, I'll get that baby out of storage. Mom was embarrassed to wear it. What a weird way to get an agent. Hope your book sells.