Monday, October 25, 2010

Things You Don't Know About Harley Jane Kozak


SinC: What are your favorite shoes (heels, sneakers, flip-flops, whatever?)

HJK: Okay, I never used to be able to wear flip-flops -- having that little divider between the toes gave me the heebie-jeebies. Then, about a year ago, I just got over it! Now I have about 17 pairs of flip-flops. It gives me faith in the transformative powers of the human species.


SinC: Is there anything you'd never leave home without?

HJK: Lip gloss and body lotion. It’s because I live in the desert of Southern California.


SinC: What do you wish you had more time for?

HJK: Sleeping.


SinC: Is there anyone from the past you would like to talk to for just 15 minutes?

HJK: At the moment, I’m a little obsessed with Genghis Khan. (can one be “a little” obsessed?)


SinC: What word do you absolutely hate?

HJK: “Awesome” has bugged me for about seven years.


SinC: Do you dream in color or black and white?

HJK: I have no idea. How unobservant of me.


SinC: If the F.B.I. had to give you a new identity, what name would you choose?

HJK: Trixie.


SinC: Favorite food?

HJK: Red velvet cake.


SinC: Favorite drink?

HJK: Vanilla milkshake.


SinC: Most embarrassing moment?

HJK: A lot of cringe-worthy moments as an actress, but in real life, it was the things that came out of me while in labor with my first baby.


SinC: First job?

HJK: Working at my brother-in-law’s tractor parts company.


SinC: Worst job?

HJK: Doing a scene with rats climbing over my face on The Guiding Light.


SinC: Favorite dessert?

HJK: Red velvet cake -- again.


SinC: If you weren't a published author, what would you be?

HJK: A politician.


SinC: If you could be one of your characters, who would it be and why?

HJK: A teenage physics prodigy named Apollo. I think it would be nice to understand physics.


Harley Jane Kozak, author of the award-winning Wollie Shelley mysteries, is also known for her work on stage, screen and television. You may find even more things you don't know about her at her website, harleyjanekozak.com.

Photo courtesy of Harley Jane Kozak.

2 comments:

Rochelle Staab said...

Awesome interview, Harley :)
I had the same experience with flip-flops. Hated them because they hurt my toes, now I could wear them all the time. And seriously, what else would one wear to a pedicure?

Please pass the red velvet cake (with plenty of icing).
Can't wait to read your next book!

Deborah Elliott-Upton said...

Very interesting and revealing answers. :-) When someone asked me if I dreamed in black and white or color, I had to think a minute and then said, "Oh, color, definitely. There was all that red blood." Things like that make a mystery writer out of you. Thanks for sharing!