Friday, September 2, 2011

The First SinC25 Blogging Challenge Roundup

By Barbara Fister


Jose Ignacio Escribano, who blogs from Spain at The Game’s Afoot, was the very first blogger to pick up the SinC 25th anniversary book blogging challenge, and has already posted twice. His posts are helping to remind me of several Spanish women whose work I keep meaning to read.

Bernadette in Oz, who writes insightful reviews at Reactions to Reading, has also started the challenge, focusing her first post on women writing in the PI tradition - Sara Paretsky and Sue Grafton having been her original ticket to the genre. I’m looking forward to post #2, but since the deadline is “whenever,” I’ll be patient.

Also from Australia (or “Paradise,” as she prefers to call it), Kerrie Smith of Mysteries in Paradise completes the challenge with a roundup of women writers she has enjoyed reviewing recently, starting with Asa Larsson’s new book, which I am eager to read.

The director of the Goshen Public Library has also taken the challenge and posted about a library-related mystery. Scan her blog to read reviews of more women writers – and male writers, too.

Fictionista Katherine Tomlinson (Kat Parrish) has two posts about women authors at Kattomic Energy – love that name! – featuring Sharyn McCrumb’s Ballad mysteries, Kelli Stanley, Carol O’Connell, and more.

If you want to play along, the rules (such as they are – I’m an anarchist at heart) are here. If you tag your posts with SinC25, I will be able to add them to the list.

Sisters in Crime is a non-profit organization whose mission is to promote the professional development and the advancement of women crime writers to achieve equality in the industry. And it’s 25 years old this year.


Barbara Fister is the author of the Anni Koskinen mysteries. The most recent title in the series is Through the Cracks. She is an academic librarian and serves on the SinC board as Secretary.


2 comments:

Sandra Parshall said...

It's great to see this take off! So many women writers are producing terrific books that no one should run short of reading material.

barbara fister said...

That's so true, Sandy. I'm up to my fourth challenge post - only six more to go! I've also pulled together two more round-ups. Now all I need is time to read all the intriguing writers I'm discovering.

I hope sisters will join the challenge. With the very tight deadline of "whenever" you know you can do it.