Friday, July 29, 2011

Use all of your Borders Bucks this weekend!

By Kathie Felix

The remaining Borders bookstores will accept Borders Bucks for purchase discounts through Sunday, July 31, 2011, only.

The Borders Bucks program has ended. Shoppers enrolled in the program cannot receive Borders Bucks credit during the chain’s liquidation.

Borders gift cards will be redeemable throughout the liquidation process, which is scheduled to end in mid to late September at most of the chain’s existing stores.

For many readers, a nearby Borders store brings back a wealth of memories of great reads, a reintroduction to lost classics and exciting new reading discoveries. In honor of those vanished days, I took a stroll through the Borders in my neighborhood to take what may be my final look at the place that once was my second home.

It was difficult to see the old store underneath the trappings of the closing sale. This week, the shop d├ęcor was accented by countless large neon orange and yellow signs announcing discounts of 20 to 40 percent. (Most of the books on the shelves were discounted 20 percent.)

The cashiers were very busy, even though employees were unable to look up information on titles or authors for customers. As might be expected, no checks are accepted at the register these days -- and no returns will be accepted.

The mystery/crime fiction section was still in relatively good shelving order. It was fairly easy to find a copy of The Big Dirt Nap by Rosemary Harris and We’ll Always Have Parrots by Donna Andrews, a couple of the titles that I’ve been meaning to pick up for quite a while. They may turn out to be my final Borders purchases.

I spent more time than I intended wandering through the store and wondering about what might make the ultimate last Borders purchase. During my browsing, I found the Biography section in perfect order, despite several shoppers in the area. I wondered briefly if biography readers are tidy people – or if the sale’s shoppers were just not interested in biography.

I’m not sure I’ll be back before the store closes. It was a sad experience.

Do you have plans to get to a Borders store some time soon? What do you expect to buy as your final Borders purchase?

No comments: